Summer Term 2018
This term our topic has a strong geography focus. It will concentrate on mountains, volcanoes, earthquakes, tsunamis and rivers.
We will aim to answer the following questions:
- How are mountains formed?
- What are the different layers of the Earth?
- What are the different types of mountains?
- How are they represented on maps?
- What is it like to live in the mountains?
- Where do rivers start and end?
- How does the water cycle work?
We will be applying our knowledge to our Literacy work.
- Writing a non-chronological report about mountains.
- Reading aloud and writing their own poetry on mountains and volcanoes.
- Writing an explanation of the water cycle
- Writing an explanation of the journey of a river.
- Narrative writing about the books ‘Dolphin Boy ‘ and ‘The Sandman and the Turtles’.
Discrete spelling lessons will be taught weekly on prefixes mis, non, ex, co and anti and apostrophes.
Sentence, punctuation and grammar work will be carried out regularly within literacy lessons and will focus on
- Verbs- use irregular past tense verbs
- Verbs present perfect: have/have + past participle
- Verbs- past perfect: had + past participle
- Formation of nouns using prefixes
- Know that pronouns, nouns and proper nouns can all be the subject of a sentence.
- Specific/ technical vocabulary
Guided reading will be carried out daily and each child will be heard by an adult twice a week.
We will be concentrating on fractions, time, properties of shape, measurement and statistics.
- Fractions- equivalent fractions, adding and subtracting fractions, comparing and ordering fractions and solving problems.
- Time- reading the time to the nearest minute on analogue and digital clocks, solving problems involving time differences and reading timetables.
- Properties of shape- Identify right angles, identify horizontal and vertical lines, perpendicular and parallel lines, draw 2-D shapes, make 3-D shapes.
- Measurement- measure, compare, add and subtract length, mass and volume.
- Statistics- Use bar charts, pictograms and tables.
We will be learning about rocks, fossils and soils.
- compare and group together different kinds of rocks on the basis of their appearance and simple physical properties.
- describe in simple terms how fossils are formed when things that have lived are trapped within rock.
- recognise that soils are made from rocks and organic matter.
We will also be learning about flowers, fruits and seeds in the second half of the Summer term. We will explore the part that flowers play in the life cycle of flowering plants.
During the topic the children will;
- Draw and name the layers of the Earth.
- Locate mountain ranges on maps and atlases.
- Understand how different mountains were formed.
- Focus on the Alps and Andes.
- Focus on the Kumaon region, finding it on maps and atlases, learning about daily life, school, fetching water and climate.
- Understand how volcanoes are formed and erupt.
- Understand what causes an earthquake.
- Understand the events leading up to a tsunami.
- Know the journey of a river from its source to the sea.
- Know the different stages of the water cycle.
- Design and make a mountain range
- Sketch mountains.
- Focus on Claude Monet and his paintings of the River Thames and water.
- During this term, we will be learning about Hindu beliefs. We will answer the question: How can Brahman be everywhere and in everything? We are learning to understand the Hindu belief that there is one God with many different aspects.
- We will also be learning to understand the significance of the River Ganges both for a Hindu and non-Hindu in the second half of the term.
This term we are concentrating on exploring sounds, different beats and pitch.
This term our PE will be on a Tuesday and Friday. On Tuesdays, we will be improving our tennis and on Fridays, we will be concentrating on athletics. Please can children have outdoor kit at all times and a sun hat.
Homework and Spellings
This term homework will go out every Friday. It will generally be learning times tables, mathletics or an occasional topic activity. Homework will be due in on a Thursday. Spelling books are due in every Tuesday as they will be tested on this day.
If you have any concerns please make an appointment to see Mrs George or Mrs Buck. We are always happy to meet with you