Reception Class- Pluto
At St Mary’s we offer a secure foundation through learning and development opportunities which are planned around the needs and interest of each individual child. We work in collaboration with parents or with carers to ensure that every child is at the center of the working partnership.
In Pluto Class our themes and topics are based around child interest, engagement and next steps and will continually change.
What happens when we fall asleep?
To begin our first half term in Spring we will be spending the first few weeks learning about Space.
- Developing fine motor skills by drawing their own constellations
- Reading the story Beegu, retelling and re-creating it.
- Writing captions to go with the story of Beegu and then writing a letter to the aliens.
- Learning about the planets and space and writing space facts in sentences.
- Writing alien descriptions
This term we will continue to learn our phase 3 phonemes and tricky words. Please continue to look through the phonics books that come home each week to see which sounds we have learnt. The reading books that come home will often be phonics based, so please check the front or back of the book which says which phonemes the book focuses on.
- Addition and subtraction with numbers to 20
- Continue to recognise numbers to 20 and to be able to show 1-1 correspondence
- To know and say 1 more and 1 less than a given number to 20
- To name and describe common 2D and 3D shapes
- To understand quantities of measure, finding items that are taller and shorter than a given objects
Expressive Arts and Design
- Creating star pictures including constellations
- Using play doh to create aliens
- Making rockets using junk modelling
- Creating own space and alien dances
- Singing lullabies
Understanding and Knowledge of the World
- Learning about similarities and differences in environments ( Earth and other planets)
- Learning about the planets and our Solar System
- Looking at light and dark, taking part in different Science based experiments using light sources
- Playing computer games
- Using a BeeBot to follow directions
- During PE this half term we will spend the first half learning about dance. Creating our own space dance and the second half looking at bat and ball skills.
- The children will continue to have daily handwriting practise when they come into the class and throughout their continuous Provision learning.
Communication and Language
- Retelling stories through drama, role play and puppets
- Talking with partners and small groups
- Being able to recall key events in stories and information
Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- The children continually develop these skills throughout their school day, however we enhance learning through circle times and Collective Worship.
- The theme this term is Trust and Going for Goals.
- This term the theme is ‘Celebrations’ Our key questions is: ‘How do people celebrate?’
- We will be looking at how different religions and cultures celebrate the New Year, for example a traditional English, Chinese and Persian new Year.
- The theme will finish with Holi, a Hindu festival.
- Please ensure all items of clothes are named
- Please bring a spare uniform/clothes in a separate bag
- Wellies to be in school every day
- A warm coat with hats and gloves ( all named please)
- Please remember to bring a healthy snack for the morning. The children will receive a piece of fruit or vegetable for their afternoon snack.
- PE will be on a Wednesday afternoon, please ensure PE kits are in every Wednesday
- Books will be changed on a Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. We encourage the children to place their own book in the changing basket every morning as we also like to hear the children read.
If you have any questions or queries we are happy to help and you can catch us in the morning or at the end of the school day if it is a quick query. If it is a longer questions please make an appointment at the office and we would be happy to arrange a convenient time to meet.
Useful Websites for Phonics
Useful Websites for Reading
Useful Websites for Maths
Mrs Bettiss, Mrs Board, Mrs Clark and Mrs Crew