Reception Class- Pluto
At St Mary’s we offer a secure foundation through learning and development opportunities which are planned around the needs and interest of each individual child. We work in collaboration with parents or with carers to ensure that every child is at the center of the working partnership.
Come and have a look and some of the things we have been up to!
Scroll down to see our upcoming theme for the first few weeks.
Spring Term 1
At St Mary’s our topics can change weekly, depending on children’s interests and their next steps. Floor book plans will be added when we start a new theme.
Our first theme for 2018 is
This theme was chosen by the children and linked to their next steps and interests. The children learn through the seven areas of learning.
Communication and Language
- Listening to many space facts on espresso and creating own facts files
- Using role- play, puppets and story prompts to re-tell stories, focusing on; ‘What ever next!’ and ‘Man on the Moon’
- Using our new space rocket role play area to create their own trips to the moon.
Personal, Social and Emotional Deveopment
- This term our Christian Value is Love, our Collective Worships will focus on this value
- Weekly circle times will continue and we will be focusing on ‘Things we are good at and what we should be proud of’
- PE is now on a Monday and a Friday. On Monday children will be focusing on ‘Games’ activities, such as bat and ball skills and football skills. On a Friday we will initially be completing a ‘space’ dance theme. The children will work in small groups to re-create the space landing and moon walk.
- Every day the children will be developing their fine motor skills through handwriting and letter formation. We will start to look at developing the children’s writing to start to write short sentences.
- Reading- Guided reading will begin on Wednesday 3rd Jan, please could you ensure children have their reading books and blue reading records in school every day.
- Daily phonics will continue. We are continuing with phase 3, looking at new digraphs, trigraphs and tricky words. The children will begin to work on reading and writing simple sentences
- In our Space topic the children will be reading the stories, ‘What ever next’ and ‘man on the moon’. They will learn to re-tell the stories and write their own space stories, letters from space and alien wanted posters
- In Maths the children will continue to work on recognising, counting and ordering numbers to 20. The children will be using the Part Part whole method to support them with understanding teen numbers.
- They will begin to learn about addition and subtraction, using physical objects to support them with calculations.
- The children will be learning to measure length and create patterns
Understanding and Knowledge of the World
- The children will be learning to use the different paint packages to create pictures on the laptops. In the first week children will be using the stamp tool to create a space scene. They will also learn about how to be safe using the internet and begin to use the tablets we have in school
- The children will be doing many investigations this term, starting with investigating which materials is best for Bob’s new space boots ( he has to walk through slime!)
- In RE the children will be learning about traditional family customs and looking at different religions and how they celebrate important festivals.
Expressive Arts and Design
- The children love making and creating things. These first few weeks the children will be: creating mosaic suns, marbling planets using new paint techniques, making aliens in playdough and clay, creating rockets and jet-packs, making pizza planets ( cooking and eating them!) and much more
Please see below the yearly planner for phonics
If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to see one of us in the mornings, or make an appointment at the office.
Mrs Bettiss, Mrs Board, Mrs Clark and Miss Crew
Useful Websites for Phonics
Useful Websites for Reading
Useful Websites for Maths
Mrs Bettiss, Mrs Board, Mrs Clark and Mrs Crew